Mujaddara is a popular dish throughout the Arab world and is generally made using brown or green lentils and rice. It comes in many variations and even though the dish is relatively simple (just lentils, rice, and onions) it’s the best dish you’ll ever taste.
This dish is perfect as a side or on its own when you need a quick meal without any fuzz. You can eat it with almost everything, and it adds just the right amount of punch to your life. Mujaddara might not seem like the most exciting dish there is, but trust us, it will become one of your staple dishes once you’ve tried it.
Mujaddara With Pomegranate And Pistachios
- 1 Cup basmati rice rinsed
- 1 Cup beluga lentils rinsed
- 2 onions halved and thinly sliced
- 1 dry chili
- 1 heaping tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 cardamom pods
- 2 cloves
- Olive oil
- Handful chopped pistachios
- Pomegranate seeds
- In a small pot, cover the lentils with plenty of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook uncovered 18 minutes. Add salt, and let it steep for 2 minutes, then drain.
- For the rice, heat oil, cardamom and cloves. Add the rice and toast for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 1.5 cups boiling water – Cover and cook on low heat for 13 minutes. Leave unopened for 5 additional minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the onions: in a pan, toast the dried chili and cumin seeds until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add olive oil, then the onions and salt. Work with high heat, adding all the onions at once and stirring often will allow you to get good caramelization very quickly. After about 5 minutes, add the cinnamon, continue cooking the onions until dark brown and soft, about 10 minutes. Stir in the cooked rice and lentils. Continue cooking on medium heat for a few minutes. Stir once or twice only, to get a crispy bottom. Sprinkle with pistachio and pomegranate to finish.
Have you tried the recipe? What do you think? Tell us in the comments below and make sure to follow us on TikTok and Instagram!